Mold is a fungus that is part of the natural environment, as it is organic. In the outdoor environment, mold contributes to the environment by breaking down dead organic matter such as dead trees and leaves. But indoors, mold growth should be avoided and taken care of effectively. The way mold reproduces is by way of tiny mold spores; these are invisible to the naked eye and float throughout indoor and outdoor air. Mold may begin to grow when these spores land on wet or moist surfaces. There are many different types and strains of mold, and none of them will begin to grow without a source of moisture.

This fungus does not usually become a problem inside unless the spores land on a damp spot and then they can begin to grow. Mold definitely has the potential to cause health problems if it is not taken care of, because they produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, toxic substances. Touching or inhaling these spores may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. These symptoms can be immediate or delayed and can include sneezing, runny nose, skin rash, and red eyes; all of this is quite common with mold exposure. If any other symptoms are experienced, this is not usually a symptom of inhaling mold. Research in the field of mold is still ongoing.

Mold will eventually destroy whatever surface it is growing on, but you can prevent this but controlling the moisture in your home and eliminating any excess moisture.

How do you get rid of mold? Well, to get rid of all mold spores is nearly impossible. Some mold spores may be found floating throughout the air and in house dust, but they will not grow if moisture is not present. Mold growth indoors should be avoided at all costs, and can be avoided by controlling the level of moisture on your property. If there is excessive mold growth in your home, it must be cleaned up and the water problem fixed. Most often, mold is directly due to water damage that has been sustained in the home that hasn’t been addressed for a long period of time. If you clean up the mold but do not address the ongoing moisture problem, than more than likely the mold issue will come back and multiply throughout other levels of your home.

A couple signs that you may have mold include a musty odor that doesn’t go away, and discoloration of any surfaces in your home. Mold spores cling to porous surfaces, as that is what they feed off of. This fungus can also attack non-porous surfaces such as concrete and brick, but it will take much longer for the discoloration to begin when compared to wood, cotton, or drywall.

When dealing with mold on your property, it is best not to leave it to chance. Call in a team of experienced mold remediation professionals to have a look at your property, take a sample of the mold, then send it in to the laboratory. Once the strain is determined, these professionals can then set up a specialized plan according to safety guidelines for that specific type of mold.

Updated: June 25, 2014 — 3:14 pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Virginia Restoration Pros © 2014 Frontier Theme